Marriage Licenses

If you are planning to be married in New Jersey, state law requires that you apply in the town where the bride lives. If the bride does not live in New Jersey, then you apply in the town where the groom lives. If neither the bride nor groom lives in New Jersey, then you apply in the town where the marriage ceremony is going to take place. If you plan to be married in another state, you must apply in the state where you plan to be married. New Jersey marriage licenses are not good for use in ceremonies that will be held on a boat or ship that is at sea.

Who must come to apply:

  • Both the bride and groom must appear in our office to apply for a marriage license.
  • One witness who is over 18 years of age and knows both the bride and groom.
  • If either of the applicants or the witness do not speak English you must bring a translator.

What to Bring:

  1. Identification and Proof of Age ( must be at least 18 years old). Acceptable identification and proofs of age are:
    • U.S. Citizens – certified copy of birth certificate
    • U. S. Citizens by naturalization - naturalization certificate
    • Non-citizens – valid passports or alien cards
    • Social Security cards
    • Proof of marital status – Previously married applicants must show proof of divorce or proof that they are widowed or a widower. Acceptable proofs are certified copy of the final decree of divorce or a certified copy of the death certificate for the former spouse.
  2. Proof of residency – Drivers license, utility bill, lease agreement, or tax bill.
  3. Marriage officiant Information – Applicants should have information about who is going to marry them, where, and when the ceremony will take place. The information must include the mailing address and phone number of the officiant.

Fee: $28.00

Three Day Waiting Period:

In New Jersey there is a mandatory 72 hour waiting period from the time that you apply for a license until the license may be issued. Since the office is closed on weekends, please plan accordingly.

For Additional Information please call (201) 440-1815 extension 108 or 104..